Or maybe it’s just ON the gutter. 😉
After years of roofing, I’ve learned the importance of gutters
and the need to get them done right.
Drew has gutters on his mind all the time and has some good
Seamless gutters come in various sizes from 5”, 6”, 7” and
By installing properly sized seamless aluminum gutters you can
protect your home – diverting water safely away from your home
before it can do damage.
The standard size depends on your region and roof type. Many
homeowners are upgrading to 6” and larger.
Though a 6” gutter is only an inch bigger than 5”, it can handle
40% more water. In some cases, “oversized” gutters are necessary
on your home or a specific portion of your roofline.
When to CONSIDER A 5-INCH GUTTER:
* Gutter lengths under 40’ with at least 1 downspout
* Gutters over 40’ in length should have 2 downspouts
* Gutters do not overflow during normal rains
* Asphalt shingles with proper drip edge
* 5” Gutters should not be used to catch runoff from upper roofs
When to CONSIDER A 6-INCH GUTTER:
* Gutter lengths over 40’ that cannot have 2 downspouts
* Lower gutters that have upper gutters draining into them
* Long runs over 60’
* Rooflines with tremendous amounts of water concentrating to a
small section of gutter
* Inside valleys where the water is flowing at great speed, and
typically overflows during heavy rains
* Metal roofs
For your Smart Homeowner list
* Do a visual inspection of your gutters when it’s raining and
when it’s not raining. Identify any issues you see.
* Do they overflow when it’s raining? You could need a cleaning
or might need a larger gutter.
* If you’re ok now, be sure to look at your options next time
your gutters are replaced (often when you get a new roof).
P.S. A free upgrade I like to include when I’m doing a new roof
and gutters is to use the larger downspouts (3” x 4”) on 5”
gutters (which usually have 2” x3” downspouts). The larger
downspout moves TWICE the water.
P.P.S. Think you might need gutters sooner than later? Reach out
to Drew and his team at The Brothers Who Just Do Gutters for a
free estimate (
Did a kind soul forward this email to you? Subscribe to get daily
Find lots of great tips in the archive (
I help homeowners navigate the confusing world of solar. (Yes, it
can be confusing!)
Is solar is a smart investment for your home? Book a call with me
and let’s find out (
Copyright © 2022 Smarthomeowner.us, All rights reserved.
| Update your profile (
My postal address: Travis Jones, 101 S. Coit Rd., Ste. 36-111,
Richardson, TX 75080