I attended a neighborhood meeting last night where my Councilmember covered zoning basics.
Why it matters: Zoning and zoning changes have an immediate impact on where we live.
⚙️ How it works: Zoning has 2 primary components.
👉 Allowed uses
- Zoning determines if land can be used for residential, multi-family, mixed use, commercial or industrial purposes.
👉 Physical restrictions
- Zoning regulates physical attributes like footprint, height and relationship to other buildings.
🥊 Reality check: Zoning does not address
- Code enforcement
- Drainage issues or fire safety
- Architectural or environmental standards
- Historic preservation or subdivision platting
- Policing or crime prevention
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- Notices for zoning change requests are sent to a very small area surrounding the lot/property.
- Find out how you can stay up-to-date on potential zoning changes that impact your home — this includes neighborhood or HOA newsletters and newsletters from your city council district or planning commission.
P.S. Your voice really does matter, and your engagement can make a difference.