Short answer: No.
Why it matters: Residential rooftop solar is an incomplete solution to the grid problem.
- Without battery storage, solar doesn’t help the grid when it’s needed most.
⚙️ How it works: Two recent conservation warnings from ERCOT asked people to conserve energy if possible.
- The first was from 7-10pm.
- The second was from 3-10pm.
🔎 Between the lines: Overall usage/demand is HIGHEST when solar production is LOWEST.
- By 5pm rooftop solar has produced 80% of its daily output.
- After 7pm the production is insignificant.
🥊 The bottom line: The only way to stabilize the grid with solar is for homes to have enough storage capacity to be able to go off grid during the high demand times.
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- If you want to explore options for your house, let me know.