With ERCOT managing the flow of electricity and your TDU transmitting power over the lines, it’s your REP that takes your money.
- Unless you’re in a co-op like CoServ, which is both your TDU and REP.
Why it matters: Most Texans have a choice when it comes to their REP — Retail Electric Provider.
- Giving you hundreds of options for electricity plans.
⚙️ How it works: Power-to-Choose is marketplace website where REPs can post various offers.
- Pay attention to the rate and how it changes based on usage, the monthly fee and the cancellation fee.
- Many providers have special offers for everything from free nights and weekends to giving you free electricity on your most expensive days of the month.
👉 Another option many people find worthwhile is to pay a service to continually shop for you and put you on the best plan for you.
- EnergyOgre is $10 a month and can save you lots of money by optimizing your plan.
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- Now is a good time to review your latest electric bill and make sure you understand the plan you’re on and see if you’re paying too much.
- If you’re paying more than 12 cents/kWh, you should be able to find a better deal.