Christy has been frustrated by the increase in her electric bills since her home was remodeled.
Why it matters: Some of the improvements we make to our homes can create other problems.
⚙️ How it works: Every hole or penetration in our structure must be air sealed, or it will increase our connection to the outside.
- Hint: You don’t want your house connected to the outside.
🔬 Zoom in: In our discovery call, I found out Christy had over 30 recessed lights installed during the remodel.
- Recessed lighting is one of the worst offenders for air leakage.
- Installed correctly, every light should be sealed on the attic side with closed cell spray foam.
🥊 The bottom line: Air sealing separates the inside of your house from the outside.
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- Watch my video on Home Performance Testing to understand how this works.
- You’ll see some of the issues with my bedroom that was remodeled 3 years ago — without doing the proper air sealing.
P.S. The more I learn about building science, the more I am shocked by all the things we did wrong during our remodel. As I discover those things — and fix them — I’ll be sharing with you to help you avoid the same mistakes.