We’ve been focusing on the forces of nature that cause heat and moisture to go in and out of our houses.
Why it matters: The leakier our envelope —> the less control we have over the conditions inside the house.
- Envelope = The 6 sides of the house —> ceiling, floor and four walls
📣 Good news!
👏 We can improve leaky houses.
- Using a variety of air sealing techniques.
⚙️ How it works: Everywhere your house has a connection to the outside can be addressed.
👉 Start with the obvious openings
- Weatherstripping around exterior doors and crawl space hatches will tighten the house
- The right attic tent over your attic access is key as well.
👉 Then deal with the sneaky opening
- Recessed lighting can be sealed with foam or tape to prevent leaking into the attic
- The top plate (the horizontal board where your wall studs attach) can also be sealed with foam
- Electrical outlets and light switches are other sources of leaks that can be addressed
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- If you’re not sure where to start, here’s the better news …
- Tomorrow I’m writing about how we measure the amount your house leaks
- And how we use different tools to pinpoint the sources