Click here to read the intro to this series.
Readiness with shelter means having a plan for backup power.
Why it matters: If you experience an extended power outage, what you can and cannot power will determine your strategy.
- Hot weather and cold weather prep have different requirements. We’ll focus now on hot weather.
🖼️ The big picture: Today let’s consider major priorities and simple tips.
- Tomorrow we’ll look at wholistic solutions.
👉 Staying cool
- Air conditioners are power hogs, so limit usage if you have limited power.
- A electric fan blowing on your skin can keep you reasonably cool with little power usage.
👉 Preserving food and medications
- Refrigerators and freezers can run on generators, solar and batteries with the right set up.
- An insulated cooler, like a Yeti, and some ice can keep essentials like medications cold for a long time.
👉 Powering essentials
- A UPS power supply can keep your WiFi running and provide charging for your devices.
- In case your Internet connection goes down, consider this Emergency Weather Radio that’s also a portable power bank with solar and hand crank charging … and a flashlight!
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- Take a few minutes to consider the top priorities for your family.