On August 2 we will be installing our first official FORTIFIED roof as part of a re-roof in Allen, Texas.
- Follow me on Instagram to see Fortified in action.
Why it matters: Fortified might be the most important home resilience measure you’ve never heard of.
- This beyond-code re-roofing method has been proven by decades of research by the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS).
🖼️ The big picture: Insurance carriers are pulling out of states that have endured large losses—California, Florida, Louisiana, Texas and others.
- Forward thinking state legislatures are using the Fortified program to lure insurers back to their states.
🔬 Zoom in: The insurance crisis in Louisiana has led to homeowners being forced to buy insurance from the highest priced state-run insurer of last resort.
- To help both homeowners and insurers, the Louisiana Fortify Homes Program is providing grants of up to $10K for retrofitting roofs to the Fortified standard.
🥊 Reality check: IBHS rates 18 states on their building code adoption and enforcement and contractor licensing.
- Texas ranked 15 out of 18. 😬
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- Don’t hold your breath waiting for your state or local building department to require contractors to do better.
- Continue to educate yourself and demand the best for your home.