Will from Dallas Water Utilities came to my house yesterday for an irrigation evaluation.
Why it matters: In the hour I spent with Will, I learned a lot about the best way to water my lawn and landscaping.
- To conserve water, save money and protect my investment in my yard.
📝 Two main ideas from my notes:
✍️ Rotary heads are better than fixed spray heads for the lawn.
- Fixed put out 3 gallons/minute
- Rotary are 1 gallon/minute
- A breeze can affect the watering zone of a fixed head
- Lower application rate for rotary means more water goes into the soil
✍️ Watering in the morning is best.
- Cooler morning temps allow more water into the ground
- Any excess water can evaporate
- Excess water from an evening watering invites disease on your lawn and plants
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- Reach out to your water provider to see if they do a free eval.
- Click here for City of Dallas.
- Consider changing out one or two zones at a time with rotary heads.