The Texas power grid operator (ERCOT) is predicting record demand this summer.
Why it matters: If peak demand is greater than the grid’s capacity we will experience brownouts.
- The highest risk will be around 9:00pm when the grid can’t rely on its renewable sources — when the sun has set and winds die down.
🥊 The bottom line: If you have experienced brownouts in the past, you are likely to again.
- Now is the time to prepare.
💡 Know your options.
👉 Use one or more UPS Battery Backups to provide power to your WiFi and any smart hubs for devices like your alarm or cameras.
- These can also be used to power fans and charge phones.
👉 Consider installing a whole home standby generator.
- Ryan Rendelman is my go-to guy for these.
👉 Solar + storage is a great for option for some homes.
- BE AWARE — a home with solar only (no battery) will lose power even during the day because the system shuts down for safety reasons.
- Only solar plus a battery can keep power on during an outage.
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- If you want to know if solar is an option for your home, schedule a 15 minute call with me.