The rainy season is a good time to walk around your house and check out all the ceilings for potential leaks.
Why it matters: Early intervention is the key to minimizing damage and preventing mold growth.
💡 Two tips for finding leaks and determining their seriousness:
👉 Turn off any can lights and shine a bright LED flashlight on the ceilings and walls to find discoloration that indicates a leak.
👉 Use a moisture meter to investigate the leak.
- A stained area with no moisture is a sign of an old leak.
- The amount of moisture can tell you how serious a leak is —> the higher the moisture, the sooner you need to seek professional help.
- When you see water entering through a light fixture or AC register, a moisture meter helps you find the extent of the affected area.
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- An inexpensive moisture meter like this one is an essential tool for homeowners.
- Not all leaks require immediate attention — as long as the moisture dries on its own within a day or two.