I overheard a fun conversation at the nursery this weekend.
- Young guy (let’s call him Ted) holding up a beautiful Geranium to an older lady (we’ll call her Susan) who was picking out Begonias:
Ted: Is this a good plant for the front of my house?
Susan: How much sun does the area get?
Ted: I don’t know. I guess it’s pretty sunny.
Susan: Are you planting in the ground or in a pot?
🤔 The conversation continued, but you get the idea.
- Susan was trying to get Ted to think strategically about his planting.
Why it matters: When deciding what to plant, don’t get distracted by whatever your local nursery or big box store has on display.
- Planting smart means using a strategy for plants to thrive.
💡 Here are 5 S’s to help you remember:
👉 Sunlight – Does the plant want full sun? Partial sun? Shade? A plant won’t thrive in the wrong light.
👉 Spacing – It’s tempting to overcrowd your plants at first — read the label and give them room to grow.
👉 Soil conditions – Does it want to be mounded? Does it want good drainage? Does it like more acidic soil?
👉 Saturation – How often do you need to water?
👉 Snacking – When should you feed/fertilize?
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- Whatever you do … have fun, enjoy and don’t be afraid to take risks.
- BloomIQ.com is great resource to find info for your plants.