Homeowners looking to brighten outdoor walking paths, landscaping, architectural features or dark areas on the perimeter have lots of options.
Why it matters: Outdoor lighting enhances the beauty of our homes and improves safety and security.
🔬 Zoom in: 3 options to consider
👉 If you’re ready to go all in and spend thousands of dollars, it’s best to do your homework and find a good landscape architect.
👉 For low cost DIY, start with a few solar spot lights like these that have a detached solar panel for flexibility of placement.
- Solar lights are improving but still have brightness limitations (you won’t get what can from a wired light) and placement limitations (you need direct sunlight for the light’s battery to fully charge).
- Pay attention to the color of the light — warm lights are best for most applications.
👉 For higher quality DIY, I love the Philips Hue system.
- Philips makes high quality lights, has a top tier app and easily integrates with your Smart Home assistant of choice.
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- Do a walk around your house some evening this week and consider what areas can be enhanced by lighting.
- And pay special attention to dark corners where a little light can make your home safer.