Technology is enabling us to measure, track and receive alerts in real time for all kinds of environmental qualities in our homes.
Why it matters: Knowing what’s wrong is the first step to changing it.
🔬 Zoom in: I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of the moisture problems in my home.
- Using YoLink temperature and humidity sensors, I’ve identified my crawlspace as the primary culprit — with Relative Humidity numbers close to 80%!
😳 Which helps explain why I’m fighting to keep humidity in my living spaces below the upper limit target of 60%.
🥊 Reality check: I don’t have the answer yet.
- But I can rule out several solutions, including using drying fans in the crawl space.
🙄 I wired an outlet in the crawlspace and connected a smart plug so I can control the fans.
- But when I run the fans to move air toward the crawlspace vents … the humidity does not change!
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- Do you have a problem in your house you need solved?
- Before you throw money at a solution, consider how you can measure the results.
- So you can know if your solution actually worked.
P.S. Remember this mindset from the great Thomas Edison: “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”