If your attic access from inside your conditioned is not insulated, you could be losing a lot more than you think.
Why it matters: Uninsulated attic stairs make your attic insulation 25-30% LESS effective.
- A small uninsulated attic hatch or scuttle hole drops it 15-20%
🧮 By the numbers: Insulation effectiveness is expressed using R-value. “R” stands for resistance to conductive heat.
- A 1000 square foot attic with 10.25” of fiberglass insulation has an R-value of 30.
- Uninsulated attic stairs drop the R-value for the entire attic to 23.24!
🥊 One last thing: Unless sealed properly, these access points can significantly reduce your indoor air quality.
- With the heat coming from the attic comes dust and other harmful particles and fumes.
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- A simple tent cover will get you close to the right R-value.
- A cover with an air sealing kit will increase R-value and is better for air quality.
- Talk to a handyman or insulation professional about getting this addressed ASAP.