Chimneys present a high risk for leaks, especially in older homes.
Why it matters: Your chimney takes a beating from the weather, and it’s not always obvious from the ground.
- Brick chimneys can have issues with chimney flashing or mortar breaking down.
- Siding wrapped chimneys can have wood rot.
👀 What to look for: First look for water stains on the ceiling near fireplace.
- After it rains see if you can detect a musty smell near the fireplace.
Bottom line: If you suspect you might have a leak, a roofer or handyman should be your first call.
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- Do a pre-inspection before the next rain, so you can check after.
- A brick chimney might need to be re-pointed by a mason, which can be costly.
- If it’s safe you can DIY with this polyurethane sealant