Felt paper is part of your roofing system and it MUST BE REPLACED with a re-roof.
Why it matters: When roofers cut this corner during install, they put you at risk—often committing insurance fraud in the process.
- Today’s email inspired by another sighting yesterday as I was driving to the YMCA.
🤯 A reputable roofing company was re-roofing a house.
- But the crew was installing new felt paper on top of the old.
🥊 Removing felt down to the decking allows crews to properly inspect and repair the roof deck.
- Failure to remove felt can VOID the shingle manufacturer’s warranty — all to save a couple hundred dollars in cost.
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- Practices like this are one of the reasons I started this daily email.
- Please educate yourself friends — and hold contractor’s accountable to do it right.
- During every re-roof you should see the wood deck before they install new roofing system.