Uneven melting patterns on your roof can reveal problems in your attic.
Why it matters: Leaky attics and leaky duct work increase a home’s energy costs by 15-50%.
👀 As the snow and ice start melting, use the chance to observe your roof.
- You’re looking for two things: melting BEFORE the surrounding houses and melting UNEVENLY.
🔬Zooming in: Good attic insulation keeps the warm air in your home. Snow melting early is a sign that warm air is leaking from your living space into your attic—and that leakiness is costing you money year round.
- If insulation is good, and you have ducts running through the attic, leaky or uninsulated ducts can heat the attic air—another costly loss.
- Uneven melting can be a sign of isolated pockets of poor insulation or duct leaks.
✅ For your Smart Homeowner list
- See the signs? If so, have a qualified insulation professional check it out.
- If your home is more than 20 years old, could be time for a whole home energy audit.