Most roofers are cutting corners—sometimes on purpose, sometimes not.
🥊 Reality check: “People do what you inspect, not what you expect.” — Louis V. Gerstner Jr., Former IBM CEO
- A proper roof install is almost impossible for a homeowner to inspect.
👺 Behind the mask: Here’s the truth. Some states — like Texas — do not have ANY licensing requirements for roofers and do not enforce building standards.
- Most re-roof contractors work from an insurance scope of work that seems complete but isn’t.
🔎 Between the lines: Insurance carriers and contractors DO NOT HAVE the right incentives.
- Neglected items —> Scope calls for removing felt paper, but contractor doesn’t follow through.
- Wrong items —> Scope lists cheap 3-tab shingles instead of proper hip and ridge shingles.
- Omitted items —> Insurance almost never calls for necessary code upgrades like fixing bad attic ventilation.
For your smart homeowner list:
✅ Decide to be an informed homeowner. (Don’t worry … that’s why I’m doing this!)
✅ Look for future emails teaching you about the parts of a roof system.